What Does a Tuneup Involve?
Heat pumps pull “double duty” in your home, providing heat during the winter and cooling during the summer. Because they run essentially all year long, they tend to require a little extra preventive maintenance. Here’s what you can expect during a professional heat pump tuneup.
- Filter Check: Your technician will check and, if necessary, clean or replace the air filter. A dirty filter not only slows down system efficiency, but also increases the risk of more serious issues such as freezing up.
- Evaporator Coil Maintenance: Your heat pump’s evaporator coil, outdoor condensing coil and fins exchange heat much faster when they’re clean. Your technician will carefully clean these components to help improve your system’s efficiency.
- Refrigerant Check: Refrigerant chemicals are at the heart of your system’s heating and cooling cycles. If the refrigerant level is low, your technician will find and seal the leak, then recharge your system to the precise level of coolant it needs.
- Electrical Component Check: Your technician will inspect and, if necessary, clean, tighten and lubricate your system’s electrical components. Electrical problems can cause your heat pump to use additional electricity as well as create excessive heat.
- Duct Check: The average forced-air system loses up to 30 percent of its heating or cooling power to leaks in the ducts. We’ll inspect your ducts and seal any leaks that could be compromising your heat pump’s efficiency as well as your indoor air quality.
- Thermostat Check: No matter how well the rest of your system is running, if the thermostat isn’t properly calibrated, it can’t do its job. Your technician will test the thermostat for accuracy and calibrate if necessary.
Why You Need To Invest In A Tuneup
Some homeowners think of tuneups as an unnecessary expense. The truth is that choosing not to invest in a tuneup is gambling with your money. With preventive maintenance, you’ll save money today on your bills, and even more down the road by avoiding more expensive repairs.
To learn more about heat pump tuneups and other HVAC repairs, check out our HVAC solutions or call (843) 277-9928.
You May Also Like
Your Folly Beach, SC heat pump is the key to keeping your home comfortable throughout the year. If you find that your… Continue Reading Why Is My Heat Pump Always Cycling On and Off?…
Most homeowners in Folly Beach, SC, are looking for ways to save money on their energy bills. A smart thermostat can be… Continue Reading 4 Tips for Effectively Using a Smart Thermostat in Folly Beach, SC…
Every HVAC unit has a variety of parts that make it work properly and that could fail as it ages. However, heat… Continue Reading The Critical Components of a Heat Pump…