What Does a Tuneup Involve?
Heat pumps pull “double duty” in your home, providing heat during the winter and cooling during the summer. Because they run essentially all year long, they tend to require a little extra preventive maintenance. Here’s what you can expect during a professional heat pump tuneup.
- Filter Check: Your technician will check and, if necessary, clean or replace the air filter. A dirty filter not only slows down system efficiency, but also increases the risk of more serious issues such as freezing up.
- Evaporator Coil Maintenance: Your heat pump’s evaporator coil, outdoor condensing coil and fins exchange heat much faster when they’re clean. Your technician will carefully clean these components to help improve your system’s efficiency.
- Refrigerant Check: Refrigerant chemicals are at the heart of your system’s heating and cooling cycles. If the refrigerant level is low, your technician will find and seal the leak, then recharge your system to the precise level of coolant it needs.
- Electrical Component Check: Your technician will inspect and, if necessary, clean, tighten and lubricate your system’s electrical components. Electrical problems can cause your heat pump to use additional electricity as well as create excessive heat.
- Duct Check: The average forced-air system loses up to 30 percent of its heating or cooling power to leaks in the ducts. We’ll inspect your ducts and seal any leaks that could be compromising your heat pump’s efficiency as well as your indoor air quality.
- Thermostat Check: No matter how well the rest of your system is running, if the thermostat isn’t properly calibrated, it can’t do its job. Your technician will test the thermostat for accuracy and calibrate if necessary.
Why You Need To Invest In A Tuneup
Some homeowners think of tuneups as an unnecessary expense. The truth is that choosing not to invest in a tuneup is gambling with your money. With preventive maintenance, you’ll save money today on your bills, and even more down the road by avoiding more expensive repairs.
To learn more about heat pump tuneups and other HVAC repairs, check out our HVAC solutions or call (843) 277-9928.
You May Also Like
The last thing you want is an airflow issue for your HVAC system when living in the Isle of Palms, SC. Your… Continue Reading 7 Ways to Improve Airflow in Isle of Palms, SC…
You may wonder why it’s important to have your air ducts cleaned and about the benefits it provides. Air ducts help circulate… Continue Reading Five Benefits of Professional Duct Cleaning in Charleston, SC…
Geothermal heat pumps are highly energy efficient in cooling your home and last for a long time. However, they are sometimes faced… Continue Reading Why Is My Geothermal Not Cooling in North Charleston, SC?…